A couple of days ago we crossed the provincial line into Ontario and after a quick mileage review realised we’re over halfway! (for distance at least – this next bit will be slower…).
Here’s a round up of how we wound up in the middle of Canada:
- Distance covered: 2900km (give or take a wiggle…)
- Days since departure: 68
- Paddled/portaged: 60
- Weather bound: 6
- Days off off: 2 (he’s a task master…)
- Provinces crossed: 3; remaining: 2
- Favourite campsite: Bear camp, Alberta
Worst mosquito bite location:
- Cas: between toes
- Mike: scrotum
Tick tally: Mike 2; Cas 2
Leech tally: Mike 2; Cas 1
Halftime favourite piece of kit:
- Mike: water filter;
- Cas: carbon paddle (a few mm shorter than when we bought it…)
Nervous moments we thought we’d broken the boat: many
Repairs to boat: 2 (superficial, luckily)
Stow-aways: 2 (one mouse, one toad)
Useless trivets lost overboard: 1
Useless trivets needed to reset the stove when it broke: 1
Cameras destroyed due to stupidity: 1
Times we almost fell in: 1 (yesterday)
- Fuel used: 3L white gas, 2 small camping gas
- Wine gums consumed: 3.5kg (slightly alarming)
- Whisky consumed: 3 bottles, all excellent
Best piece of advice: burn birch bark for smoke to get rid of mozzies!
Worst piece of advice:
- ‘Awful cramped: you should get another canoe and tow it behind you with your kit in it!’
Closely followed by:
- ‘You should run a noodle [floatation device used by children and in aquarobics classes] down either side – improve your stability!’
What we have learnt: this life suits us!
What we are yet to learn: we have to confess we’re still not 100 percent clear what poison ivy and poison oak are…
Weddings missed: 2 (and 2 more to go…)
Friends and family missed: many
We love you guys!! Xxx
4 thoughts on “Are we nearly there yet??”
Love reading your blog guys!
I’m soo jealous! (Of most of it 😉 )
Keep them coming
Shetland Ginge xx
Ginge!!! Thanks! You’d love it.
How are you doing? Recovering? What news from the islands??
Yes very jealous indeed.
Recovered and back to work now thank you 🙂
Not much news from the isles….its currently pouring with rain..force 6 to force 8 winds and 13 degrees C. Though weather has been pretty good so can’t complain.
Closest thing I’ve done to what u were doing was camping for 2 nights at spiggie with a few swims ( no wetsuit) 😉
Hope you guys are making good progress. Just back from Banff and it seems to be getting much colder out there. Safe travels!